When you play Roulette online or at the real table, the aim is always the same. You try your best to predict the number, on which the ball will land. You place your bet that covers, or partly covers the particular number you believe in. Then it is all about luck. You cannot affect the outcome.
In this guide we focus on the roulette rules as they are in live casino online. A standard roulette wheel is divided into thirty-seven pockets with numbers 0-36. There are 18 red numbers, 18 black numbers and 1 green zero digit.
Bets are placed on what is known as the ‘layout’ which includes both the standard betting grid and racetrack areas. Available bet spots are highlighted when selected while minimum and maximum bet amounts are indicated in the game screen. Each player is responsible for the correct positioning of a valid chip combination on the layout in order to place his or her bet selection.
Betting on Live Casino Roulette
Bets in Live Casino Roulette work just in the same way as when playing roulette versus random number generator. The only difference here is that you can chat and communicate with real dealer and see the table live. Your Live Casino Online Roulette bets shall only be deemed valid whereby they are placed before the dealer announces “No More Bets” or the system timer indicates that betting has closed, whichever may occur first.
The live casino dealer shall spin the white ball in the opposite direction to that of the wheel’s rotation. At least three complete revolutions of the ball track are required for a spin to be deemed valid.
Each bet placed shall be settled in strict accordance with its position on the layout upon the roulette ball coming to rest in a pocket and as such then recognised by the system and dealer.
Upon the roulette ball coming to a full rest in a pocket, the dealer shall announce the winning number and a dolly placed on the respective numbered box on the layout.
Upon the dealer announcing the result of the round and the dolly being placed, all losing bets are collected and winning bets paid automatically by the system.
When the winning number is the green zero, all outside bets are lost.
Upon bets having been paid, a new betting period will commence and play recommence.
The standard Return to Player (RTP) for European Roulette when playing at live casino online is 97.3% although the individual RTP for each game is accessible via the in-game ‘Information’ or ‘Help’ button.
A system malfunction will result in any bets placed being declared void.
Roulette Bet Types
Many different types of bet are possible to place in Roulette with each type covering a certain range of numbers. Each bet type also has its own payout rate. Live Casino Roulette is just the same in terms of bet types as any other roulette game, unless it is not a unique unusual version of the game.
Standard bet types are divided into ‘Inside Bets’ and ‘Outside Bets’, although further betting options are common with use of the roulette racetrack on the layout.
Bets placed within the grid area of the layout at live casino roulette where the individual numbers are indicated, and including:
- Straight-up Bets: wagers made on a single number, including Zero (0), by placing chips entirely within a numbered square. Standard table pays at odds of 35 to 1.
- Split Bets: wagers made on two numbers by placing chips on the single line between those numbered squares. Standard table pays at odds of 17 to 1.
- Row / Street Bets: wagers made on three numbers in a row by placing chips on the outer edge of a row. Standard table pays at odds of 11 to 1.
- Corner / Square Bets: wagers made on four numbers that meet at a single corner by placing chips on the common corner between those numbered squares at live casino roulette table. Standard table pays at odds of 8 to 1.
- Six Line / Double Street Bets: wagers made on six numbers that form two adjacent rows by placing chips on the outer corner of the grid between said rows. Standard table pays at odds of 5 to 1.
- Trio Bets: live casino online roulette wagers made on three numbers including the Zero (0) by placing chips on the common corner between said numbers. Standard table pays at odds of 11 to 1.
- Basket / First Four Bets: wagers made on Zero (0) and numbers One (1), Two (2) & Three (3) by placing bets on the outer corners between 0-1 and 0-3. Standard table pays at odds of 8 to 1.
Bets placed entirely within the roulette table boxes that are adjacent to the numbered grid area, and including:
- Red / Black Roulette Bets: wagers made on either the eighteen red or eighteen black numbers. Standard table pays at odds of 1 to 1.
- Eighteen Bets: wagers made on eighteen numbers, either 1-18 or 19-36. Standard table pays at odds of 1 to 1.
- Even / Odd Bets: wagers made on either even or odd numbers on roulette table. Standard table pays by online casino (the house) at odds of 1 to 1.
- Dozen Bets: wagers made on either the first (1-12), second (13-24) or third (25-36) dozen numbers. Standard table pays at odds of 2 to 1.
- Column Bets: wagers made on one of three vertical columns of roulette table numbers. Standard table pays at odds of 2 to 1.
By using the roulette racetrack, bets on a series of numbers known as ‘Tiers’, ‘Orphelins’ and ‘Voisins’ may also be placed. These bets are normal when playing live casino online, as well as in some of the roulette games, where you play against software – on desktop or mobile versions of the casino game.
Tiers du Cylindre /Petit Series
This bet covers a total of twelve numbers on the side of the roulette wheel opposite to zero. Six roulette chips are placed as follows:
- 1 chip on the 5/8 split
- 1 chip on the 10/11 split
- 1 chip on the 13/16 split
- 1 chip on the 23/24 split
- 1 chip on the 27/30 split
- 1 chip on the 33/36 split
Voisins du Zero / Grand Series
This roulette bet covers a total of seventeen numbers on the side of the roulette wheel that contains zero. Nine casino chips are placed as follows:
- 2 chips on the 0/2/3 street
- 1 chip on the 4/7 split
- 1 chip on the 12/15 split
- 1 chip on the 18/21 split
- 1 chip on the 19/22 split
- 2 chips on the 25/26/28/29 corner
- 1 chip on the 32/35 split
Orphelins a Cheval
This casino roulette bet covers a total of eight numbers on the two segments of the roulette wheel. Five chips are placed as follows:
- 1 chip on 1 (straight up)
- 1 chip on the 6/9 split
- 1 chip on the 14/17 split
- 1 chip on the 17/20 split
- 1 chip on the 31/34 split
This bet covers zero and the six numbers in closest proximity to it. Four chips are placed as follows:
- 1 chip on the 0/3 split
- 1 chip on the 12/15 split
- 1 chip on 26 (straight up)
- 1 chip on the 32/35 split
A neighbour bet in roulette covers a particular number as well as other numbers that lie in close proximity to it on the roulette wheel.
Roulette Terms and Definitions
Below you will find the most common terms and definitions that you need to know, when playing live casino roulette online. These are good to know on top of those terms, presented earlier in this article. Note that when being translated to other languages, there is often an issue with these roulette terms, as well as with other casino related terms. Different casinos online translate them differently. It is always good to use the English version of the site, just to be on the safe side, when it comes to all definitions. It is important to understand all the rules and terms, when playing roulette at casinos online for real money.
Ball – A small ball, standard white, which is used to indicate the winning number of each spin.
Ball Track – The outside rim of the wheel where the ball is first spun from.
Bottom Track – The inner area of the wheel where the ball falls into a pocket.
Column – A vertical arrangement of twelve numbered boxes on the layout grid.
Dolly – The device used by the dealer to mark the winning number after each spin.
Layout – The full table betting area upon which all bets are placed.
Pockets – The individual compartments in which the ball comes to rest.
Racetrack – An oval-shaped part of the layout where Tiers, Orphelins, Voisin and Neighbour bets are placed.
Row – A horizontal arrangement of three numbered boxes on the layout grid.
Spin – The action of releasing and concluding a single game round.
Table – The full roulette game area including both wheel and layout.
Wheel – the rotating circular device used to play the game.